Comms girl reporting for blog duty
Hi, my name is Dorien and last year I was a communication manager at #oSoc15. It was quite an experience! I’ve listed a few things you should know before you enter the magic land of #oSoc. Or at least, this is what I found out when I participated in #oSoc15.
1. When they say “3 different locations”, they actually mean “you will be commuting. A lot.”
2. Trains are the perfect place to catch up on lost sleep
3. Missing your train isn’t always so bad
Especially when everybody has to take the same train. TIME 4 DRINKZ. IN THE SUN.
4. Outdoor meetings are the best meetings
This is the first summer job where I ever got a tan. Who would have expected that from an open Summer of code?
By the way, hallway meetings are common as well. Less sunny, yet equally productive.
5. #oSoc doesn’t actually stand for open Summer of code
We pretend it does, but let’s be honest. If anything, it stands for open Summer of coffee couques. Or open Summer of cholesterol in general. open Summer of pizza, thanks to SUPERMACHINE‘s super surprise pizza delivery. And oh, open Summer of Cage, because Lara totally had her computer caged. And I’m guessing some other students got caged as well.
6. Coffee couques are life
And yes, I am aware they are actually called Danish pastries. Nomz.